Do you know someone who is downsizing or needs to downsize? It could be your parents or your partner’s parents. Moving is one of life’s most difficult experiences and this stress is amplified for people who are older, perhaps less mobile, or have a particularly strict budget. However, downsizing can be the beginning of a wonderful new life, here are my tops tips to ensure the downsizing experience is as positive as possible;
- Plan your space thoroughly, you will be moving into a SMALLER space so you can’t take everything with you.
- Will your existing furniture work in a new home setting? Your furniture may be outdated and weary, for example do you want to bring a large family sized modular sofa into a new modern sophisticated apartment setting.
- Engage professionals such as an interior designer to help you style your old home for sale to get maximum price and to create a beautiful interior in your new home to realise your lifestyle vision. The right professionals, from real estate agent, to financial planner will also alleviate some of the stress and decision making.
- Consider your storage needs and whether you have enough storage in your new home. Downsizing is a good time to declutter and streamline your life.
- Be mindful of all your emotions, it’s normal to go through a range of emotions from excitement to frustration and even sadness. Planning and engaging the right professionals will ensure a smoother transition and more importantly the realisation of the lifestyle you’ve envisioned.
This month I gave a presentation on downsizing to a group of students of the University of the Third Age, downsizing is an area Grace Interior Designs specialises in so if you want to make the most of your move contact us to find out how we can help you realise your lifestyle vision.