For us in the Southern Hemisphere we experience Summer Christmas’ and after spending 7 years in London, I can tell you that I prefer a warmer Christmas. There’s something special about being outdoors for such festive occasions (minus flies and mosquitos) so here are my top tips on how to have a beautiful Christmas outdoors;
1) Plan your space, whether you have a massive backyard with pergola or a balcony, it’s important to plan your space and buy the right furniture. The same principle applies outdoor to indoor spatial configuration, functionality and ease of movement are key.
2) Set a budget, there are so many beautiful outdoors pieces of furniture, add accessories such as lanterns, outdoor cushions, heating. All these elements aren’t cheap so set a budget and stick to it.
3) Is it comfortable? Comfort is equally important in outdoor furniture, check the cushions you sit on and the arm rest specifically, harsh materials used to make outdoor furniture may compromise comfort.
4) Stackable and foldable or permanent, if you have a small space you may benefit from stackable, foldable pieces that you can use when needed. Weather may also impact if you stack, fold and store or leave your furniture out all year.
5) And finally have fun with it, outdoor furniture is meant to support fun outdoor activities, and of course don’t forget to slip, slop, slap.
Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, enjoy your time together.